Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Phew... I think it was a growth spurt


Good Morning! I am relieved and happy to say that I think all the trouble I was having last week with feeding Alex was all due to a growth spurt and not my milk supply.

Breastfeeding had been going along pretty smoothly, though I am still extremely tired. However, for the past week or so I have noticed something going horribly wrong. Feedings were becoming more and more frequent, he wasn't getting content afterward and I was about to lose my mind!!! Especially late last week. I previously thought it was my milk supply and not being able to provide enough milk for him. This is because Alex started eating ALL the time! Literally! He would almost have to eat once an hour which was very taxing on me. After eating he would never seem satisfied and would want more, in which I couldn't supply. I never got that "full" feeling and it was a constant battle.

I thought it was a growth spurt at first but when it was happening everyday for longer than a week, I thought for sure it was me. I was really getting concerned because I didn't want to have to suppliment him with formula because I couldn't keep up. I tried everything! Eating oatmeal, downing my tea like crazy and even pumping. NOTHING worked and I was fighting a losing game.

Finally I got some reprieve and it came a couple of days ago. Out of no where, he started to eat like he always used to. He started to get back to his 2.5-3 hour stretch between feedings, he would seem content after 1 side and if I did offer both he would throw up due to over eating. WOW! What happened?!?! All I can guess is that it was a growth spurt of some sort. A long lasting one! but I am glad it looks like things have calmed down a bit. This is day 3 of him eating better and I feel so happy for that. Hopefully it will last...

No comments:

Post a Comment