Thursday, December 2, 2010

New Mama Record!

Ok I know for some of you this blog is alittle bit to graphic but I just had to document an achievement that I reached last night! I was/am so excited about it! If you know me and all I have been through with breastfeeding you will understand why...

Yesterday Alex decided to go on a marathon nap and I actually had to wake him up at the 5 hr mark! Mostly because it was getting late and I wanted to give my little stinky baby a bath (ya he wasn't smelling to pretty after throwing up on himself, pooping himself and baby sweat... you get the idea). So with that break between feedings along with a 3 hour nap during the day you better believe my milk was ready to go!

So after his bath I fed him his dinner but made a horrible mistake! I used the wrong side! You are supposed to alternate so you don't get engorged but by the time I realized my error it was too late. So I let him finish on the side he was on and unfortunately for me, but good for him, he was full. I couldn't get him to use the other side at all and he went off to bed again.

So now what?! I would have to wait another 3 hours before I could feed him again and by this time I was already in PAIN! I was afraid if I pumped I might not recover fast enough before his next feeding so I was in a dilemma. Then I remembered something great! Adrian had taken the day off and he would be home all night which meant.. he could feed Alex if I did pump! WHOOHOO!!!!! So I asked Adrian if he could feed him and he agreed so I busted out my pump and did my thing. Now comes the achievement...

The most milk I have EVER been able to produce/pump was 5 oz. I reached that a day or two after my milk came in with Mia! I was never able to get up to that amount again with her, and only recently I was able to finally reach that with Alex... barely! However last night I went on a pumping spree and I actually reached 7 oz!! TOTAL!!! WOW!!!!! I can't believe it myself! I even had to get another bottle because I had so much! I was totally amazed and so happy!!! My milk volume is no longer a problem or concern! That in itself is a HUGE relief since it has always been my all time fear due to what I went through with Mia and not having enough.

Then came the real test, how would I be in the morning?! Well lucky for me Adrian fed Alex last night so that gave me some extra hours of sleep so when I woke up I not only felt refreshed a bit, but full! So when it came time for Alex's breakfast he definately had enough. He only needed one side and knocked out after which always tells me hes STUFFED! So YAY!!!

Again, I don't know if it was a growth spurt last week or not but I am glad I am not running into milk amount problems right now. I can't say they will not return, but for now I am enjoying not having that issue! Score one for MAMA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment