Monday, December 20, 2010

Alex's 2 Month Check-Up



He still flips off the camera at his doctor's visits

Mia was NOT happy



He liked sitting in the scale hes 11.7 lbs

Once we were home he was all smiles


He gave a thumbs up to show everyone he's ok

Showing off his bandaids (he had another one on the other side)



Phew what a day! Today was a day that I have been dreading FOREVER! Today was Alex's 2 month well baby check which means... shots! UGH! I know!!! Horrible! So needless to say my stomach was in knots all day.

It has been storming non-stop since Thursday of last week but today seemed to be the worse of it! It was down pouring and BAD! I really didn't want to get out in the storm with the kids, but knew it had to be done. Alex was already overdue with his shots due to an insurance mix up I could not postpone it longer.

Mia didn't help things either. She woke up in the WORST mood ever! She was so moody, whiny and upset all morning that I put her in her room for a early nap around noon. Of course she didn't fall asleep but I did! I have been dragging so much since I am also sick with this dumb cold.

When it was time to go of course Adrian and I were running around like headless chickens trying to get the kids ready and get out the door. We knew because of the storm that it would take longer to get to the appointment and we didn't want to be late.

I fed Alex as much as I could but had to cut him off when it got to late. Of course this didn't make him a happy camper, but we loaded him into the car crying anyway. Mia did alright in the car, when Alex was crying she kept trying to talk to him to calm him down. Super cute! She is always looking after her little brother and trying to take care of him.

Once we got to the medical center in Moreno Valley (30 mins away) it was still pouring. So Adrian pulled up to the front of the building and we both popped out of the car and quickly unloaded the kids. I carried Alex in his car seat while holding Mia's hand and walked her inside the building while Daddy found parking.

The place was CROWDED! but Mia refused to sit on my lap when I was sitting on a chair. She was getting upset and cranky... oh no!! luckily Alex was fast asleep, I guess all that crying in the car wore him out.

We checked in and waited to be called back. It didn't take long before they did and we all walked back together. They took Alex's vitals then brought us to a large room. They had me undress him so they could measure his height and weight. Mia sat next to Daddy in a little kid chair and was slowly becoming a handful. She wanted to be up on the paper and didn't like that Alex got to be up there. Eventually we busted out a baggie full of sliced apples and she munched on that for awhile. That gave us some time at least to focus on Alex.

Once I had Alex in his diaper he was all happy and cooing. He woke up in the best mood, smiles and all. That broke my heart because I knew what was in store for him. Soon the nurse came in and measured him and weighed him. He is now 11.7 lbs and 23 inch!!! WOW!

After logging in some info onto the computer she left and we waited for the doctor to come in. We had to see another doctor since Alex/Mia's regular doctor was unavailable. Once the doctor came in she introduced herself and she was a very nice lady. I liked her alot, if I didn't like his current doctor so much I would have definately switched.

She looked at his chart and commented on how good he is doing. He is above average in his height, normal in his head size, but a tad below normal in weight (30%) however, she said it is not concerning, it may just be normal for him. She didn't recommend changing his eating habits since he is doing so well.

She then did the physical exam. She checked his eye, ears, mouth (which made him gag hard and cry a bit... poor baby) head, body .. everything basically. He did so well, didn't make a fuss or cry until she checked his hips... he didn't like that much and let out a big scream which even scared Mia! Mia stood by all concerned about her little brother but we all had to keep telling her that he was ok.

She checked every inch of him and after all was done she said he was doing great. She answered a few questions we had, the big one being his hearing. I haven't had the chance to blog yet but I have been concerned about his hearing. He doesn't respond much to sounds when you try to get his attention by noise, however, he does startle when not expecting it. I talked to the doctor about it and she reassured me that he should be ok, but to keep an eye on it. Since he passed his newborn hearing test she wasn't to concerned.

As for the eczema she said to keep doing what I am doing. He also has a hair on his eye ball but she said it should come out on its own. As for his knee and leg problem (the skin is horribly dry) she said it was most likely dry skin and to keep putting lotion on it to help.

After her exam was done and all questions answered she left and we waited for the next horrible part... the shots! By then Mia was really getting antsy and wanted out of the office. She started to whine and cry and get into everything! Her apples were gone so we busted out some kix that soon went flying all over the office...great!

Then the nurse came in. Thats when Adrian and I traded places and kids. I took Mia while Daddy took Alex. Mia wanted to bolt out the door but I kept her inside. I tried to have her sit on my lap but she wanted no part of it. She wanted to see what Daddy and the doctor were doing to Alex. All she could see was their backs to her over Alex. Soon came the bad part, they gave Alex the first shot. He quickly screamed in pain and screamed at a pitch that I have never heard him do ever! This scared Mia who quickly jumped in my lap. She wanted me to cuddle her. Then another shot and more screams and cries. I tired to ignore my breaking heart since I didn't want Mia to sense fear or anxiety in me, I calmly talked to her and explained what was happening and tried to distract her by having her spell out letters on my shirt. Another shot then the oral vaccine which made him cough and gag and cry some more. Mia then jumped off of me and wanted her Daddy's attention. She started to get mad that he was ignoring him (of course not on purpose he was holding down Alex and was very busy) I tried so hard to regain Mia's attention but nothing was working. Soon it was all over and the nurse was done. She quickly left.

Adrian comforted poor screaming Alex as I tried to regain control of Mia. She wanted her Daddy to pick her up so I took Alex. Poor little guy was crying so hard. He didn't cry very long considering what happened to him, but he did cry longer than Mia ever did when she was his age. I gently put his clothes back on and loaded him back in the car seat. He whined the whole way back to the car... poor little man.

Then came time to get into the car. It was still raining outside so we had to move fast. Adrian took Alex (who was covered in his car seat with a blanket) and I took Mia. I carried her with her blanket on her head and we ran to the car. Once at the car Adrian popped in Alex and I struggled with Mia (who did end up playing in the water when I briefly put her down and was fumbling with the keys) and once she was in, I jumped in the car myself.... PHEW!!

Alex was still upset but not really crying. He soon fell asleep in the car and we went home. Once we got home Adrian unloaded Mia and I took Alex into the bedroom to change his diaper. He was frowning in his carseat but once I picked him up and laid him on the bed he gave me the biggest smile. I talked to him for a bit and he cooed so happily. This warmed my heart. He was saying "I am ok Mama I am a big boy" in his own little way. We chatted a bit then I put some warm jammies on him and brought him out into the livingroom. He hung out for a long while before getting hungry. After I fed him he went off to bed and has been asleep ever since.

I am praying he will be alot like his sister and not have any reaction to the shots. I Really REALLY hope he will be ok. All I know is that I will be keeping a close eye on him the rest of the night. Lucky for me Mia went to sleep early (yay for skipping her nap) so I can focus on him totally tonight.

Sigh... my little man... poor baby got poked!

No comments:

Post a Comment