Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mama feeds Alex a bottle for the first time


Well it finally happened. I finally fed Alex our first bottle together. Thankfully it was frozen milk I had and not formula yet. It was heart breaking for me in a way because this was NOT the way I wanted it to be, but I had no other choice.

When I was only able to pump less than 1 oz from BOTH sides I knew I had to defrost our emergency supply. He was still screaming and crying inconsolably. So Adrian took Mia out to the park to get her out of the house and I prepared his bottle.

I then went into Mia's room where he was crying and set him up. I haven't fed a baby since Mia but it all came back to me right away. However, Alex wanted NO part of it and refused to eat! He just screamed harder. He hasn't had a bottle in over a month so I think he forgot what it was. I kept trying to encourage him to drink but nothing worked. I poured alittle on his tongue for him to taste but it didn't help. I tried and tried and finally after about 15 mins of agonizing feeding attempts he finally gave in and started to drink. It still didn't go very smooth, he was having trouble figuring out the correct latching technique and had trouble with the constant flow but he hung in there and so did I. He kept looking at me with his big blue eyes as if to ask "Why are you giving this to me Mama, this isn't right, what is this?" He would then turn to my chest but I would force the bottle on him.

Eventually he started to drink more enough to feel better. His eyes started to get heavy and he laid there drinking and holding my hand with his tiny hand. Eventually he finished the entire 5oz and luckily it was barely enough. Once he was done he was a whole different baby. Totally content.

I burped him and he laid on my shoulder and I carried him downstairs. Every now and then I would hear a tiny coo from him so I knew he was happy. I then laid him back down and he knocked out cold from 1:30pm - 8pm where I finally had to wake him up.

During his long nap I quickly ate as much as I could, drank alot of fluids, and did all that I could to up my milk supply. I then laid down and took a long nap which really helped. The real test was how would he be with the next feeding?????

No comments:

Post a Comment