Thursday, November 18, 2010

Battle with Cradle Cap





Ugh! Cradle Cap again! I battled it with Mia and now its Alex's turn. I noticed it coming on over a week ago and was hoping with some baths and shampoo that it would go away. I didn't get so lucky and it soon got out of control. I felt so bad, my little mans head was all scaly and rough to the touch. Poor little guy. Something HAD to be done.

When Mia had cradle cap, NOTHING seemed to take it away, not even baby oil. Over time it just vanished but it took almost a year. I didn't want that to happen to Alex too, especially since he has so little hair to begin with.

I researched again and again everyone recommended baby oil or pure olive oil. I do cook with olive oil but I wasn't sure if it was the right kind, I didn't want to put the wrong kind on his tiny head and end up with even bigger problems. So I went to the store and bought some Johnson & Johnson's Baby Oil with Vitamin E.

So when Mia went down for a nap and I would have no distractions I decided to give him a treatment. He HATES when you wash or brush his hair so I waited until he was in a deep sleep on his boppie. I managed to massage some oil into his head and I waited about 10 mins for it to really soak in. Then I took his tiny baby brush and got to work. I gently scrubbed his little head while he slept. I thought I was doing some good process until I noticed something. To my horror I noticed some tiny chunks of his baby hair falling out! NOOOOOOO!!!! He hardly has hair as it is! I quickly inspected his head... no bald patches but still there were chunks missing. I decided to stop the brushing and just deal with what was left (alot). In my eyes I rather see a scaly scalp than a bald patchy one! haha

I woke him up soon after and popped him into the bath. He didn't mind the bath until I washed his hair. I had to really wash it good to get all the oil out. Luckily it only took a few dumps of water from a large cup to get all his hair clean.

After his bath I got him all set up and fed him. Once he was asleep again (this time on my chest) I inspected his head. He still had some scales and when I picked at them with my nail they came right off! WOW! So I spent the next hour gently picking off about 90% of his scales and now his head is almost totally free of cradle cap! YAY! His hair even became softer and poofier AND his head is so soft again! I still have a small area to work on but I don't want to over do it. I am giving his tiny head a rest.

Well I hope the treatment has helped, I don't think I want to do it again so whatever I did today will just have to do. Hopefully it doesn't come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment