Saturday, November 6, 2010

4 Weeks Old!


Happy Saturday Everyone!!! Alex is 4 weeks old today!!! In just a few days he will officially be a whole month old! WOW! How time is zooming by. It sure doesn't seem like it when I am woken up suddenly in the middle of the night to a hungry baby. But like everything, that will pass soon as well and before I know it he will be sleeping through the night... (but between you and me, it couldn't happen soon enough! haha)

This week has been awesome! Alex not only got to see his Grandpa Pizano again but his Grandma Rebecca came down for a few days as well. Talk about Grandparent bonding time!

He even got to celebrate his very first Halloween and got TONS of compliments on his Superbaby costume!!! He came home with TONS of candy and his little homemade pumpkin sack was filled to the top. It even had lollipop handles sticking out of it.

This week as a big week for him. He drank his very first bottle! It wasn't formula, I had pumped so he is still a breastmilk only baby. Daddy was the one who fed him, during the night, and after alittle work he got the concept. I really didn't want to give him the bottle, however, my sleep was suffering to much and starting to get to me. He has since only had 1 other bottle but I think tonight he might have another. I am running on fumes of energy again and I need a good solid night of rest. Especially before next week when Daddy drives back to work and Mama is soloing. YIKES!

He also finally "Got" someone... yes he pooped on my Dad!!! I think it was his way of keeping his Grandpa at the house longer because he was trying to leave. Well it worked and I later thanked Alex for that haha.

We also had our first family outing to a restaurant this week, just the 4 of us. It didn't go as smoothly as I would have hoped. He woke up soon after the appetizers and I never got to eat my food. It was ok though I was alittle sick so I just took it home and ate it when I felt better. He made up for it though, we went out again a few days later (this time with Grandma) and he was on VERY good behavior. He slept during the whole meal and only woke up during the car ride home. I guess that just means in order for us to eat out we need to invite someone to go with us haha

Alex also got to celebrate his first World Series win! Yes, the Rally Baby pulled through and the San Francisco Giants took the World Series! YAY! Daddy was so happy and so proud to see his little man sport his SF Giants apparel that he bought for him.

He also had his very first official "Well Baby" check up at the doctors. I had to take him by myself since it the appointment was so early in the morning. He did great though, didn't cry once (other than the car ride to the appointment but he had pooped himself so that explains why). He checked out A-OK and is growing like a weed! He is half an inch taller than when he was born and gained over a pound since his last check up a couple of weeks ago! WOW! My little growing boy!

He has been taking baths in the baby bathtub a few times now but I decided to try bathing him in the sick for the first time. (I though it would make things easier... WRONG!) That was a complete disaster and he screamed the ENTIRE time. Poor little guy, well Mama has learned her lesson for sure!

He also graduated to size 1 diapers! He no longer wears Newborn size (though we still have TONS of those sized diapers). It was a decision HE made when we couldn't stop the poopie blow outs! haha

The BIGGEST event that happened this week, however, just happened less than an hour ago! He smiled at me! and on purpose too! I was chatting with him on the couch and he was all happy and cooing and sure enough he gave me 3 HUGE smiles! I was so shocked and so happy! My little man has the cutest smile EVER! Though he didn't inherit Daddy's dimples like Mia, he did inherit Mama's cheeks for sure! So the "Pizano Cheeks" live on! haha

Those are pretty much the events that have happened this week. He is growing and changing so much. His skin is getting lighter and he is becoming fuller. His eyes are still a real deep blue and everyone is wondering if they will stay that way. I kind of hope they do, it will make him special since it will be the first grandbaby with colored eyes on BOTH sides. But hey if they turn brown that is ok too.

He is starting to go longer periods of sleeping. Though in the day he wakes up about every 3 hours to eat, at night he can go 4-5 sometimes! Depending if he doesn't poop himself in his sleep or if he ate a good amount before bed. This gives me some hope that I will get some extra rest soon (at least more than 4 hours at night).

He is also becoming more aware of his surroundings and can actually track you with his eyes, if you move from left to right in front of him. Even the doctor was amazed on how alert he is. He loves it when you hold him up in front of you so he can look at around, and usually hangs out pretty content if you sit him up on you.

He LOVES his boppie!!! I don't really remember using it much with Mia, but boy does Alex love it. It has become his little bed. Once he gets sleepy you just surround him in his little boppie so that it holds him tight and he drifts off to sleep EVERY time! He knocks out so soundly that I can have him out here sleeping in the living room and Mia can be up and about screaming and playing while watching her TV shows and he will sleep right through it all. Its amazing. I have tried to get him to sleep in his little pack n' play napper that we got from his Auntie and Uncle, but he doesn't like it much. He won't stay asleep long and will only fall asleep after a good cry. I think this is mainly because the pack and play is in the guestroom and since we have had company for the past week we haven't been able to get him used to it since we don't go in there. But thats ok, the boppie works just fine and its pretty portable.

Breastfeeding has its up and downs. Some days it goes really well other days its such a challenge I start to doubt if I can keep it up. Some days he latches really good other days he literally rips me apart. My milk supply has been up and down, but I am finally realizing the culprit. I need to drink more water and eat more. With that combo I always seem to have enough for him. When I am unrested, unfed and dehydrated he has a hard time getting full. So I am working on that. I have noticed its becoming more painful and I think I might be developing thrush... I am going to contact my doctor this week to see what I can do to check if I have it. It would explain ALOT! the soreness, the pain and other symptoms I have been experiencing. Hopefully I don't though, I hate taking anti-biotics and he will have to take them too!! UGH! Overall its going alright, still not to happy since I am still in pain and he doesn't have a consistent "good" latch yet, but hopefully that will all change soon. I would like to continue to breastfeed as long as possible to give him the best start possible.

Well he just woke up and now I hear Mia on the monitor. Time to start my whirlwind morning! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment