Monday, November 15, 2010

2 Hour Glucose Test

UGH! I am here yet AGAIN! And fasting… UGH! Darn that Gestational Diabetes!!!

Well after having Alex I was told that I would have to do another 2hr glucose test 4-6 weeks later. Talk about news I didn’t want to hear, however, it isn’t all bad. It is good for me, it makes sure that all traces of the gestational diabetes is gone and if it isn’t I can do things to help it early on. However, it is also bad as well since I need to fast 12 hours before the early morning test… Nooooooo!!!! I was a bit concerned because I am breastfeeding and not only do I suddenly STARVE after a feeding but I am concerned about my milk supply too. Well I have to do what I have to do and hopefully I can recover from this quickly and Alex won’t be too affected.

I started the fast last night at 7pm. Talk about HARD not only did I get hungry about an hour later, but I had cooked up a HUGE feast all day so there was food EVERYWHERE. I cooked fresh beans, rice, soup, pot roast and cake! Maybe that wasn’t such a good idea since the smell alone was pure torture! But I made it though. I fed Alex 2 more times and after each feeding I fell asleep pretty fast so I didn’t have to stay awake and feel hungry very long.

My Dad stayed with us an extra day so I could do this test early morning and get it over with. He is such a Saint! He stayed home with Alex and Mia while I went to the lab. I thought about feeding Alex a bit early so he would be full while I was gone but I was still concerned that it might not be enough and he would be hungry while I was gone. Then my Dad had a great idea. He suggested that I pump instead of waking Alex up early, since he was sound asleep on the couch, that way it could buy me some more time in between feedings while I was gone. In other words, my Dad would feed him a fresh bottle while I was gone, whenever Alex decided to wake up, and I wouldn’t have to RUSH home to feed him again right away. GREAT IDEA! So that’s what I did. After getting 3 oz I zoomed out the door and here I am at the lab.

When I got here there was a bit of a wait so I didn’t start my 2 hr mark until recently. They took my blood then made me drink one of those dextrose drinks. This time it was Cola flavored! I have never had that type before, I have had the Orange flavored and Sprite flavored. It didn’t taste to bad either. Sort of like Coke, too bad I don’t really care for coke but it could be worse.

So I still have 40 more mins. Not sure what I am going to do to kill time, guess catch up on some blogs while I wait. I am sure I will have a update on this one in a little while… if I can stay awake!

20 mins in….
THIS IS HORRIBLE! ……….. that is all

They let me home early WHOOHOO!

No comments:

Post a Comment