Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Hospital Stay










































The Doctor who Delivered Alex















































Mia's first gift to her baby brother





The hospital stay went very well. I not only got my very own private room (a HUGE bonus) most of the nursing staff was great and treated me extremely well. I also got all the cranberry juice my heart desired! haha

I progressed very well, quicker than with Mia's birth. After the first 24 hours I already had my cathiter out, my IV soon followed and I was up and about walking. By the next day I already had the green light to shower and was on solids! Talk about fast! I wasn't pushing to progress so fast so it was coming naturally I was happy about that.

Ok on to some cute stories...

After the first day of bonding one and one with Alex, that night proved to be pretty smooth, however, due to all the bonding we did he only wanted me!! Even Adrian couldn't sooth him, he only wanted me. As soon as he was in my arms he would stop crying immediately! This lasted throughout the hospital stay and happened more than once. Even a nurse was taken aback on how he reacted to me once he was in my arms. It was like a crying stop switch as soon as he hit my arms. I felt loved and great but it also scared me a bit, Uh-oh what if he never lets anyone hold him?!?!?! haha

That first night, although Adrian had a pull out bed (he said it was like laying on bare springs) he ended up sleeping on the FLOOR!! He said it was more comfortable than the chair! Unfortunately, at one point during the night, Alex cried and woke up Adrian in a panic and he smashed his glasses! He glasses bent and the nose piece went flying! Ya, Alex already had his Daddy on his toes!

My Dad also bought me the biggest most beautiful flower arraingment! It was so boyish with blue carnations and everything. I felt so loved, I LOVE flowers so it really cheered up my room.

Later that afternoon my Brother, Sis-in-law, and nieces all came in from Ventura County to meet the newest member of our family. Unfortunately, hospital rules say that no one under 14 are allowed into the rooms, but that didn't stop them from sneaking in! haha I wish I had my camera out to record the reactions of Tracy (10) and Sarah (8) when they saw him for the first time. They were so excited and couldn't wait to meet him. They had been talking about Baby Alex non-stop the entire trip, so they were so happy to finally see him. They gave him a kiss and snuck back out into the waiting area where Grandpa was.

My Brother and Lauren just fell in love with little Alex. They couldn't stop holding him and often fought over whose turn it was. It was a GREAT visit with them, however, I was a bit on the sick side. The nurses had given me my pain medicine which I took on an empty stomach (BIG MISTAKE) and my lunch came in late so I got sick. I was sick most of the visit but soon snapped out of it which was good.

Before the visit ended we got another sneaky visitor, Alex's cousin April (3). She was a bit shy at first when she met Alex but soon warmed up and talked to him and gave him a kiss. It was so sweet to see them together.

After all the visiting was over, my Brother and his family went to our house to rest up a bit. Little did I know that they spent the next couple of hours cleaning and cleaning to make sure I came home to a nice clean house! It was so sweet of them and when I did finally came home, the house was so spotless it was almost like it was when we moved in 5 years ago!!!!

The rest of the night was pretty good. Alex did let his Daddy hold him for a bit still preferred me, so we hung out ALOT! He loved doing skin to skin and thats pretty much all we did the rest of the night.

The next day was the big day. I was going to be released from the hospital. Alex got the "OK" first, despite his weight loss (he was born at 7.1 and by the final night he weight 6.7). I later got the "OK" from my doctor and we were good to go. Then the hospital photography lady came in to visit and asked if we were interested... I said ok but wanted my daughter to be present so we set up a time for her to come back later when Mia was there.

Later in the early afternoon my Dad showed up with Mia. I was so excited to see my little Mia again and she was so happy to see me. I know she had missed me since my Dad (who was watching her the whole time) kept saying how she was constantly asking for me. So our little reunion was fun but was cut short because the photography lady came back.

So I dressed little Alex in his homecoming outfit (Which was ADORABLE and too BIG I might add) and the photographer set up the set (my bed! haha) Alex was not happy thought and started to scream and cry, luckily the photography lady had a few tricks up her sleeve and once she gave him some sugar water he instantly quieted down and took some really cute pictures. During the photo shoot Mia was all over the place... literally! she was getting into everything and anything. Then came time to take her picture along with her brother. I wasn't sure how she would react but she did pretty good. It took alot of coaxing but she eventually gave Alex some kisses and they took many picture of them together. I was loving it, just sitting there watching my kids and laughing!

After all the pictures were taken and the lady left it was time to pack up and leave. Mia went NUTS in the room and started making HUGE messes so my Dad finally took her out for a walk while Adrian loaded up the car with our things. By the time my Dad and Mia got back it was time to go and we loaded up the final things. The nurses grabbed me a wheel chair and pushed me to the car as I held Alex in my arms and my Dad, Adrian, and Mia (who was dragging her purple blanket behind her) followed.

Once we got outside I noticed how HOT it was, and I am not talking warm, I am talking HOT! near 100 degrees HOT! I was instantly reminded of Mia's homecoming and how it was over 100 then too, the only thing that was different was that Mia was born in July and it was expected. Alex is an October baby and it should not be that hot!!!

It took awhile but we finally got all set up in the car. Mia was going to go home with my Dad and Alex went home with Adrian and myself in Adrian's car. The ride home was pretty good, he only cried alittle bit but nothing bad.

Once we got home we relaxed. The rest of the night was a blur since I was so tired and being the sole food provider for Alex I was always feeding him or knotting off. The first night however, went better than expected and he slept most of the night. I only had to feed him a couple of times.

That was it for Alex's birth adventure. It defintately went pretty fast but the outcome was great, I wouldn't have it any other way.... I love my little man!















No comments:

Post a Comment