Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Alex's 1st Well Baby Check-up











Alex had his very first "Well Baby" Check up and he did AMAZING! I was so surprised what a good baby he was, even in the car ride all the way to Riverside (45-1hr drive). He got up from his nap and was ready to go, even though Daddy and Mama were a bit late getting out the door.

The entire ride to the hospital, I sat in the backseat with him. He stared at me the whole time and only started crying when we were a few blocks away. It was lunch time and he didn't want to wait to eat he wanted his milk and he wanted it NOW! Uh-oh what to do, we were already late to the appointment (we had two, one for me (first) then one for him). So I decided there was no way he would make it through my appointment without eating so I decided to do a veteran breastfeeding Mama does... I fed him right there in the backseat of the car in the hospital parking lot. That was the very first time that I have ever breast fed him in public and we both did good! Once we had his "snack" we raced to the hospital.

Since I am still recovering from my c-section I couldn't make the long walk so Adrian got me a wheel chair and pushed me while I held Alex in my arms. I was so proud holding him and LOVED every compliment I heard about him. "Awww look at the tiny baby.." "Look at the newborn" "Ohhh how cute!!" I was loving it.

We finally made it to the check in area and Adrian parked me while he checked us in. Once we got our baby work we made it to the waiting area. We decided to skip my appointment and go to Alex's instead. Once we got there we realized the poor little guy had a poopie!! OH NO!! Luckily they took us back right away and we were able to change his diaper right away so he didn't have to sit in it to long.

He did great in the appointment and didn't even cry. They weighed him and he has gained weight WHOOHOO!! Hes up to 6.148 lbs! They also checked to see if he was jaundice and he is but only slightly. They hope to see that clear up right away. They also measured him and measured his heart rate and oxygen level and it all came back great! After he was done seeing the doctor they brought in a lactation consultant. I was so happy that I didn't need much advice and she was happy to see things were going so well with him. I did have a couple of simple questions and I even got to feed him again in the room to show her how good he was doing. She said I was a pro and was very pleased that I have YET to give him a bottle or formula OR a binky!

After our visit with her it was time for my appointment. Since mine only consisted of getting my staples taken out, it was ok that I was a bit late. So I went to my appointment, alone, while Adrian sat with Alex in the waiting room. They took me back and I got my staples taken out. I felt relief right away and was happy to have them gone. The nurse said my scar is looking good and should be healing just fine. She put some steri-tape and glue on and said I can't get it wet for a week, which will make showering difficult.. but possible.

After my appointment we all got to leave. Alex was asleep and once we got to the car he woke up a bit then went back to sleep. About half way home he woke up and HUNGRY .... again... this time he cried and cried almost the entire ride home. I couldn't sooth him so much until he cried so hard he passed out!!! WOW! Once we got home I fed him and he was as happy as alittle clam again.

I am glad his first visit went so well, hopefully this is a sign of many more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment