Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Birth















Well Friday started off like any other day, except I was feeling a bit funny. More like sick. I was queasy and had low energy, I couldn't understand why but decided to wake up Adrian an hour early so I could crawl back into bed and sleep. After my nap I still felt sick and tired, but we had lots planned for the day and with Alex's C-section date (which was supposed to be that Sunday) we had little time to do it.

So after Mia's lunch we headed off to run some errands. First stop was the Lab at Kasier. I needed to have my blood drawn that day so they would have the results by Sunday, the day of my c-section. It took them awhile to get through all the paper work so by the time I was done and walked back to the car, Adrian and Mia were both passed out haha. After that we headed off to Khols so we could buy Alex a new homecoming outfit. The one I ordered from Babies R Us was cute but WAY to big for a newborn I thought, even though it said was NB size. So I ran around the baby isles looking for the perfect outfit. I noticed I was walking a bit fast but I felt pretty good, not sick anymore, so I kept up the fast pace. I thought to myself, what would happen if I pushed myself to much and my water broke in the store?!?!? I laughed it off and just kept going. Eventually I found the PERFECT outfit. It was a cute little overall set with a big brown bear head in the front. It also had a stripped shirt. I showed it to Adrian and he liked it too. I then came across a cute shirt for Mia to wear the day she met Alex, it was a cute "I'm a Big Sister" shirt that was all flashy and so girly. I also found a couple of sun dresses for me, for my own homecoming outfit and another for kicking around the house. After all our shopping was done we went off to Target to return some duplicate items we got at the shower. After returning them I noticed I was getting one of those famous stomach cramps... oh no!! I tried to ignore it and it never really got to bad. We shopped a bit afterwards and picked up a few things then headed off to home.

Before we made it to the house we stopped off at Carl's Jr. since I didn't feel like cooking. I got a small child size chicken stars and a big burger. We got home and ate and thats when I noticed something funny. As gross as it sounds and I know TMI but for prosperity I must write it, but I noticed my underwear and pants were getting really wet. It wasn't sweat or anything else but I couldn't understand what it was from. I didn't think it was my mucus plug because there was no mucus just alot of moisture. I kept going to the restroom to clean up and after it kept happening I finally told Adrian. He mentioned that he read somewhere that you get alot of discharge at the end of your pregnancy and that could be what was happening. I really didn't think it was discharge but I took his word for it and decided against any more cleaning that night and said I would just be a couch potato the rest of the night.

So I brought Mia to bed (which wasn't easy) and went downstairs to relax on the couch. I was very anxious due to the fact the baby was coming in a few days and I wasn't ready yet! So I grabbed a diet orange soda (a treat for me since I rarely drink any soft drinks, especially since my diet), some yarn and the remote. I decided I was going to crochet Alex some matching booties for his new homecoming outfit. I sat on the couch and started to watch my Friday night show, Ghost Adventures. It was a new episode so I was eager to see it. I was relaxing, crocheting and watching my show when all of a sudden out of no where and I mean NO WHERE I felt a small gush of fluid at around 9:30 pm!!!!

It startled me! OMG Could it be..?!?! no way?!?!? I remembered instantly what it was like for my water to break with Mia and in an instant I knew what it was, but prayed I may be wrong. I threw down my crocheting and sat up, as I did a HUGE gush just poured out of me!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG! I said as I grabbed the nearest thing I could grab... Mia's Winnie the Pooh blanket and I shoved it under me to make sure the couch wouldn't get messed up. I yelled up to Adrian. It took a few times before he answered (luckily he was working from home) I yelled "My water broke!!!!!!" He ran downstairs "Are you sure!?" "YES!" as I gushed more and more fluid out! I was in panic, I couldn't believe it was all really happening. I knew I would be having Alex any min now!

The next few moments were a blur. I was stressed out, yelling at Adrian for him to do things (mainly keep getting me towels since I was soaking through all of them) getting Mia, calling the hospital, preparing the car with plastic and towels, getting Mia situated (she never went to sleep so she was happy to be up again, however, she also pooped! Ugh her timing was horrible! haha) and trying to get on the tile instead of the carpet since I was gushing so bad. Soon I just went and sat on the toilet and waited for Adrian since the fluid kept pouring out.

The hospital told Adrian to bring me in ASAP but we had a HUGE dilemma, who was going to take care of Mia?!?!?!?! We HAD to take her since there was no one nearby. I called my Dad and told him my water broke and he was already on the road but it wold take him at least 2.5 hours to reach us, and Adrian called his mom and Fernando and it would take them almost 2 hours to get to us. My biggest fear was once we got to the hospital they would take me back to the OR without Adrian since he had Mia and I would be alone! I cried and panicked some more but when I noticed that the baby stopped moving since my water broke I started to get scared something was wrong with him so I decided to stop procrastinating and we went to the hospital anyway.

On the ride to the hospital (which is almost an hour away) my contractions kicked on. It was weird this whole time even with my water breaking I had ZERO contractions! With Mia it was a big contraction that broke my water, with Alex it was nothing, no kick, no punch, no contraction he just did it on his own. Anyway on the ride to the hospital the contractions started to kick off. They were VERY mild compared to Mia's induced labor but still they were there and they were coming FAST! Soon they were 3 mins apart consistantly! I soon thought to myself, oh no what if I don't make it OR if they force me to do it natural! YIKES!

We eventually made it to the hospital around 10:30. Adrian found a parking spot in the expectant mothers zone, ran off the car and grabbed a wheel chair for me. I set a bunch of towels down on it and threw a blanket over my knees since I couldn't wear pants! Then Adrian got Mia out of the car and my bag over his shoulder and struggled pushing me to the ER. We must have looked a site because a older couple walked up to us and offered their help. Usually we don't take extra help but we really needed it then, so we jumped at the chance. So the older man pushed me into the ER while the lady helped carry some of our bags while Adrian walked in Mia. We thanked them and stood in line at the ER. The ER was PACKED with people and nurses were everywhere and no one took us! I was getting more anxious and I knew we were going to check in there we just needed to know where Labor and Delivery was at. So when more time passed, I just told Adrian to interrupt the nurses and ask, so he did and they gave us a bunch of weird directions. We just stood there confused, finally a nurse said she would take us there. She said she felt bad because we had our little daughter with us as well so she pushed me and we rushed to labor and delivery.

Once we reached L&D they rushed me into a room while Adrian checked me in. They hooked me up to the fetal heart rate monitor and some other monitors after they made me put on one of those horribly drafty hospital gowns. As I lay in bed my nerves kicked in, wow am I really here?! Flash backs of Mia's delivery flooded my head. Soon Adrian and Mia joined me. The nurse came in and we talked a bit. All that I kept thinking about was going in to the OR alone because our parents couldn't make it in time to get Mia. Eventually they told me that I could still go on with the C-section but I would have to wait until 3am because I drank that orange soda less than 6hrs ago!

Soon my Dad showed up (he literally flew all the way in from Ventura County) and a little while later Adrian's Mom and Step Dad showed up so were able to give Mia to them. As I laid in the bed and said my goodbye to Mia I couldn't help but get choked up alittle. Adrian soon rejoined me and we waited until our big moment.

Soon 3am hit and it was my turn for the OR. I was so scared but ready to take that next step. I said my goodbye to Adrian and they wheeled me in the OR. On the way there we passed the nurses stations, my old room where I went into labor with Mia in and some other memorable spots in the hospital. Eventually we arrived to the OR. I went inside and they had me get on top of a tall bed. The whole feel of the room was errie. The temp was ice cold I started to shiver. The smell of disinfectant was everywhere and there were TONS of bright lights shining against white walls. My heart began to raise, I tried to stay calm but my nerves started to act up a bit.

I managed to get on top of the operating table. The nurses were great and were talking to me. Soon the anesthisiologist came in and introduced herself. She seemed like a rough but nice lady. I warned her about how easily sick I get from the anesthesia and she said she would give me something for that. Then came the spinal... UGH it was everything I remembered it being and WORSE! The pain from that was horrid, worse than any contraction I had thus far! Soon I asked a nurse nearby to hold my hand and by the middle of it all she was holding me in a hug since I was shaking so bad and in so much pain. Eventually they got the medicine in and I was numb. They prep'ed me some more and eventually brought in Adrian.

I was happy to see him but still so anxious about the whole thing. Oh and another thing I forgot the mention, the anesthsia did end up making me sick and I started dry heaving bad! They stuck a tube in mouth trying to suck out any vomit but I kept fighting it out it was the worst experience ever. Eventually they upped my med to help me stop dry heaving but then it increased my shaking! Ugh! the whole thing was awful ... ANYWAY...

Once Adrian arrived I felt a bit better, then they told us the WORST thing ever. We brought in our video camera but they said we were not allowed to take any video what so ever! Only pictures!! WHAT?!?!?!?!??! If I had known that we would have brought in our expensive camera!!!! I was upset! Now it was to late to get the camera and now we would have no video either! I was almost ready to cry, when I asked if we would use our video camera as a camera (it has that feature) they agreed as long as we don't take video. BUMMER!!! but hey I would take what I could get.

Eventually the surgery started. Althought I was completely numb I could still feel everything they were doing their thing! So I felt all the pulling, pushing, stretching and cutting (without pain) it was pretty intense. I really don't remember that detail from Mia's c-section.

They said it would take awhile due to my previous C-section and the scar tissue and they weren't kidding, the whole process seemed to take hours! Eventually the big moment came. I recognized the pulling sensation and asked if it was time for the baby to come out. The anesthisiologist said yes! and soon they said "There is the head!"

And just like that I a huge weight was lifted from my body, I knew it was the baby. Not long after we heard the very first cries of life coming from our darling little boy. Instantly I said "Thats my baby!!!!" and cried! I cried harder for Alex than I did Mia's. I don't know why, I think because for the first time it felt real to me, that he was actually here... and after all that we did to prepare for his birth, including the miscarriage, up until now he is finally here! I cried tears of joy and as I watched them clean him up and take his vitals.

The one thing that shocked me is after they were done doing the "rough" things to him he actually settled down and mellowed out! AMAZING! I never saw or heard of a newborn doing that. ITS A BOY! They said and told us his measurements. After he was all cleaned up they brought him over to Daddy and had him hold him. I just watched as Adrian's eyes lit up and he held his little boy in his arms. He talked to him as I did my best to reach out to touch him... I couldn't reach. Eventually it was time to take him back to the nursery to they got him from Adrian... I felt horrible that I couldn't even touch him... I think a nurse sensed that and asked me if I would like to give the baby a kiss so I did and it was the most special kiss ever! He looked so adorable. Then they took him away along with Adrian to the nursery.

I laid there as they sewed me up and eventually took me to the recovery room. Thats where they found out I had a fever of 102! So they had to watch me extra close. Eventually Adrian came by to visit and showed me the video that he took of Alex meeting his Grandparents for the first time. It did kind of bug me that everyone got to hold him before I could but there was nothing I could do about that, I even missed the big moment of Mia meeting him for the first time too! Again I was crushed but there was nothing I could do, luckily I had a video that documented the moment.

Soon when I started to recover better they brought in Alex! I was so excited to see my baby!!! FINALLY! They brought him over and asked if I would like to nurse him since he was rooting on EVERYONE and seemed really hungry. SURE!!! So they set me up and right away he knew what to do and like a good baby did his thing and it didn't even hurt! I laid there shocked! and so happy! What a good baby. We laid there and did some bonding and skin to skin contact, I was in heaven. He looked so beautiful!!! I was in heaven.

When my hour of recovery was up we all headed to my room. I was so excited when I found out I got my very own private room!!! WOW!!! I had to double up with Mia! I was so happy. After getting settled my Dad, Mia, and in laws joined me. They were so excited to see Alex! and after visiting for a bit they left. Adrian then took Mia home because she had been in the hospital with us since 10:30pm and it was already almost 7am!!! and she had little to no sleep! (That little girl is always on the go!) Later I sent my Dad home to rest even though he didn't want to leave me.

I then spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon alone with Alex just bonding. It was just the two of us and I was loving it. He was such a good baby, I had ZERO trouble with him and the nursing was going GREAT! Soon Adrian came back in the early evening and spent the rest of the night with me.

I was in heaven... here I had my precious, healthy, happy baby boy! I couldn't ask for anything better!

NEXT BLOG: Hospital stay.....






No comments:

Post a Comment