Saturday, October 16, 2010

1 Week Old


Wow!!! Alex is officially 1 week old today! He is barely out of my tummy and already time if flying by.

I have him wrapped up and sleeping on the couch right now so not sure how much time I have, so I will have to be quick with this or it won't be done for possibly DAYS! (Ya, my blogs sure have been suffering since he has been home... can't seem to find any extra time and if I do I sleep!)

This week has been one of huge adjustments. While the hospital stay was pretty smooth, being home has had its challenges. Mostly because I am still recovering from my surgery. Which, by the way, has been going pretty fast to my surprise! I only had to take my pain med once yesterday (after a sneeze caused me SO MUCH PAIN) and I have been walking and getting around much easier. I have even been able to take care of Alex, ie. diaper changes, picking him up and walking around... things I couldn't do at this time with Mia's recovery. Ok I got alittle off track there for a sec.

Alex is an AWESOME baby I couldn't ask for anything better... I am seriously... hes perfect. He only cries when he is hungry or needs to be changed. Its amazing how different Mia was from her brother. Nights are pretty easy considering we have a newborn. I go to bed while Adrian is on Alex watch. He sleeps about 3 hours then needs to eat. Since I am breastfeeding (only!) I get woken up... I feed him (hes a GREAT eater) then he goes back to sleep for another 3 hours till his next feeding. I feed him again and we both get up for the day while Adrian goes to bed. He usually sleeps again till the next feeding unless there is a poopie or pee diaper happening somewhere. But overall he sleeps about 85-90% of the day, no joke! I love it! Hes such a great baby.

Mia is adjusting. At first she was scared of his cries and would run to the nearest person to be comforted. Now she doesn't do that so much and instead says "Baby crying!". She was a bit curious at first and would softly touch his toes or head or leg. The jealousy factor didn't seem to be an issue at first. She didn't mind if I was hold him, she would go up to him and say "Baby!" or look for him if he wasn't in the room. However, I noticed yesterday she is starting to get a bit jealous. My Dad is here visiting and once he picked him up she got upset and wanted to be picked up too! Another time she came into the room while I was holding him and she gave me the meanest look, another time Adrian was holding him and Mia came running to me saying "Dada Baby!" all upset. So I know jealousy is slowly creeping in, hopefully we can get a handle on it before it becomes an issue. The only thing that is difficult is when he has his blankey and Mia wants it, that causes problems every time!!

Well I am slowly getting into the groove of things. Since he is such a good baby my adjustment has been great. My anxiety level is very minimal when handling him (infact I gave him his first sponge bath and I wasn't nervous at all!) changing his diaper and clothes don't scare me and I handle him pretty well. Breastfeeding is going AWESOME other than the engorgment since he doesn't fully drain me as much as I need it, but I am happy to having extra milk! Something I never had with Mia. So overall the first week has been really really really good! Much better than I ever expected or hoped... I just hope this positive trend continues. The real test is this coming week where Adrian, Mia and I and Alex are SOLOING!!! ACK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment