Tuesday, August 17, 2010

UGH!!! Kaiser!! GRRRR!!!!!

Well we all know I am not to fond of our insurance, Kaiser. However, I have been with them since 2004 and most of my records are with them. Granted there are some good points in having Kaiser... I do like the doctor's they have and service during emergencies, but I do not like their loops you have to jump just to get ahold of anyone!!!! ARGH!

Like I mentioned earlier, I have been experiencing some severe stomach cramps. Mostly on my right side and it goes all the way to my back. Well this morning they came back ... again! And again I was couch ridden. I was watching TV then the thoughts of appendicitis popped in my head! "Isn't that on your right side!??!!" So when I felt well enough to jump on the computer to do some research I did. Turns out appendicitis is pretty common during the later part of pregnancies, however, it did mention that the pain doesn't go away. Mine does... eventually. So I did the next best thing, I gave my Sis-in-law a call (she has 4 kids and is a pregnancy pro!) I asked her advice and what she thought. She couldn't figure it out either but recommended I call my doctor. She thought it could be signs of a bladder or kidney infection, especially since the pain travels to my back. I agreed about calling my doctor and when I got off the phone I reached for his number.

Of course Kaiser does not let you call your doctor directly or even his office!!! They make you call a generic number, and after going through a ton of menu options you are finally put through to a live (non-medical) person. Then you have to tell them why you are calling. In the case of myself, I wanted to leave a message with my doctor's office, so I have to leave a message with THEM, and they would relay it to the office. UGH! What a headache not to mention a violation of ones privacy. Anyways, when I told her about my stomach pains she right away asked if I was more than 5 months. I told her next week I start my 8th month. Thats when she stopped me and told me she could not take my call and that I needed to be transferred to labor and delivery!!! Greeeat! So she transferred me to labor and delivery (another middle man)

The nurse on the phone was very nice, however, I didn't like her diagnosis one bit. Though she reassured me that it was not appendicitis since the pains does go away, she also shot down the bladder/kidney infection as well since I was asymptomatic. UGH! Instead she said it sounded like "round ligament pain". I know EXACTLY what round ligament pain is since I was diagnosed with the most severe case, "PSD" (Symphisis Pubis Dysfunction) when I was pregnancy with Mia. I knew this pain was different. So the nurse went on and on telling me all about the round ligament pain and I was getting irritated. Soon I just cut her off and explained that I had that problem with my daughter and I am all to familiar with it. I told her the pain was much higher than it was with Mia and shot through my back. She still insisted it was round ligament pain and did not refer me to the ER or my own doc. Instead she told me to call back if I start to bleed, contract, or the pain gets worse. WONDERFUL!!! UGH! Ah well, I thanked her and hung up.

So now I guess I will just wait till Thurs. when I see my baby doc anyways. I have a feeling they might just ride it off as round ligament pain... maybe it is.. I dunno. All I know is that its definitely different than the pain I had with Mia with severity, location and how long it lasts.

I have been wearing my maternity belt more and that seems to help the onset of the pain, however, once I have it, it no longer helps. I don't like my belt mainly because its uncomfortable but also Alex stops moving so much and that kind of worries me.

I went back and checked when the round ligament pain really kicked in hard-core with Mia and turns out it was right around this time, alittle after hitting 8 months. So who knows, maybe they are right... but I still hate Kaiser in the fact you have to jump through hoops and you still get blocked from your main goal. I wouldn't get so angry if it was my doc or one of his nurses who know my history personally, diagnose round ligament pain over the phone... I don't like the fact I had to listen to a nurse who does not even have my chart to diagnose me!!! UGH!!

Well all I can hope now is that the pain doesn't get any worse and I can still remain functional for Mia's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment