Thursday, August 5, 2010

Diabetes Appointment

Well today I had to make another trip out to Riverside to meet with my gestational diabetes consultant, dietitian, and social services worker. Unfortunately for Adrian the appointment could only be held at 11am so that means hes on practically zero sleep and has to watch Mia since she can't go with me. I just got home and both are asleep in her room...awwww....

Anyway I have been slowly getting the hang of my new diet plan. My sugar levels are pretty good and only spike when I experiment a bit to much. I met with my gestational diabetes consultant/nurse first. This is the person that will be calling me weekly and I will have to give her my weekly blood sugar results. I talked to her previously on the phone and she seemed pretty nice. It was a nice relief that she was just as nice in person too. We went over a few things and she thought my levels looked great. The only concern she had was my weight. I am losing weight, which seems really odd for a 7.5 month pregnant woman to say. Infact I have lost 3 pounds since last week! I am officially under my pre-pregnancy weight, isn't that crazy!??!

After I met with Judy, I met with a new dietitian. She went over my meal plan, my charts/levels and what I have eaten over the past week. She advised me that I should NOT be losing any more weight and to up my carbs and calories. She said that starches are still VERY necessary in my diet plan and should not be avoided. (I have to admit I was cutting back on them). The good news is she gave me the ok to start taking my Super Hero Gummy vitamins again! WHOOHOO! She tweeked my meal plan a bit but nothing to drastic. She just kept emphasizing how I should not lose any more weight from this point on.

Finally I was supposed to meet with a social worker. It isn't as bad as it sounds, it was more of a mental health evaluation to make sure this new diabetes diagnosis isn't sparking depression and such. Unfortunately, when it was my turn to meet with her she had to run off since she was on-call and had three other emergencies to attend to. So she should be calling me back and going over my questionnaire.

After that I was sent on my way. So what do I think about all of this??? To be honest I really wasn't expecting to lose more weight, granted I am not upset about (more thrilled) but I know it isn't right. I will up my carbs and calorie intake I just hope I don't balloon up. My consultant said since I only have 10 weeks left she highly doubts I will even come close to 200 lbs (my biggest concern since even before I got pregnant with this little guy) even if I were to gain 1-2 point a week! That brings me some relief. I know I am towards the end and this is the time the baby himself really start packing on the weight. I wonder how that will go, I will just be happy to have a happy healthy baby boy and stay under 200! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment