Sunday, September 26, 2010

Baby Shower in San Diego for Baby Alex















































































We made it!!! Another baby shower for little Alex is a success!!! But it wasn't without some hardships... the main one being... THE HEAT!!!! Ironically, the Oxnard Baby Shower was unseasonably and unexpectedly COLD, and the San Diego one had unexpected record temp. HEAT!! UGH! We have no luck with timing, however, despite the 100 degree heat and the baby shower being held outdoors it was still tons of fun!!!

The morning didn't start out so great though. I woke up extra early due to some uncomfortable pains and discomfort. On only 4 hours of sleep, by the time Mia woke up for the morning a horrible stomach cramp set in! OH NO!!! Anything but that. I was scared that it would put a damper on the day. The morning was a bit rough in getting ready but Adrian helped out TONS! Soon we were all on the road headed to Sunny and HOT San Diego!

Mia refused to sleep in the car and started to fuss about 45 mins in! OH NO! but we managed to sooth our little Mia Monster by putting her favorite song "Baby Baluga" on repeat! haha Eventually we made it to Eastlake where the party was being held. The party was thrown and hosted by my Mother-in-Law and Sister-in-law and they rented out this beautiful clubhouse down the street from Adrian's Tia Ana's house. No one in the family had rented out this particular place before so it was new to everyone. It was very pretty, with wide open spaces, patios and beautiful architecture. However, once we got off the car and the 100 degree heat hit, I was a bit nervous!

We got there an hour before the party was to start so we could drop off a few things and so Adrian could help set up. There was no escaping the heat for me and I started to get light headed right away. Thats when everyone suggested that I stay at Tia Ana's house (who has AC) until the party was ready. I jumped at the chance to escape the heat and took little Mia with me.

His Tia drove me to her house and set me up with some ice water, a comfy chair, and had me put up my feet! I was a treated like a Queen! Tia Gloria was also there watching the little cousins, Brianna, Nataila, Adan and now Mia! All the kids had fun playing in the livingroom with all the toys and riding around in little bikes and cars. Mia found Adan's car and stuck to it like glue! haha I rested a bit and when people started to show up they took me back to the party.

The heat didn't get any better and by the time I reached the patio I was literally dripping. I didn't want that to put a damper on my good time, so I figured if Alex let me I was going to have a good time!!! I said my hellos and just then my best friend since FOREVER, well since we were freshmen in high school, Mona, her husband Brett and Mia's future husband Koa showed up! They drove in all the way from Orange Co.! It was GREAT seeing them again and we spent alot of time catching up.

Unfortunately my stomach cramp was still there so I was confined to sitting down in a chair most of the time, but that didn't stop me from enjoying myself anyway. Mia was running all over the place and didn't seem to mind the heat or sun at all! Even with sunblock slathered all over her she still turned out pretty rosey and red. She had a blast running around with her little cousins, playing and getting into mischief! The only time she had issues is when she refused to share toys while Adrian's cousins's Mother-in-law played games with all the kids to distract them. Adrian had to go in there and pull her out, literally kicking and screaming! (Joys of parenthood of a child who was over heated and needed a nap! haha) But once she got a cupcake she was fine... she got cupcake all over her but she was happy again haha

SOOOOO many people showed up and we got TONS of presents. I kept looking at the present table in shock. We literally received more presents than we ever have before... it even put our wedding to shame! WOW we are so loved!

As the day wore on it eventually started to cool down... well sort of. The sun finally got into a position where most of the patio areas were now shaded and the breeze really kicked up. Thats when it got pretty tolerable and I started to come back to life. Though I tried to hide how over heated I was, most people at the party commented on how horrible I looked! Wow! Didn't know I looked THAT bad, of course they didn't tell me but they told Adrian haha But everyone catered to me and made sure I had the coldest water, the best seat and tons of shade... I didn't mind being spoiled! haha

Then it was game time. Unfortunately, I couldn't get up from my chair but I got to watch. The funniest game was when they filled a baby bottle of horchata and had a competition on who could drink it the fastest. The catch was, there had to be TWO people per team.. one had to be the "baby" and the other the "Mommy" haha That was fun to watch. The other game of course was the baby diaper raffle. The grand prize for that was a $50 gift card to the Cheesecake Factory!!! I love this game in particular because we always get hooked up with TONS of needed diapers and today was no exception! We literally have TONS and I mean TONS of diapers!! I am so happy at the money we are saving! haha

Ack, I have been typing away and I forgot to mention the food!!!! My Mother-in-law hired catered food and it was AWESOME! They made the best carne asada pita pockets and awesome beans and rice. Everyone loved it and stuffed themselves up! Even myself! Also, the cake was so cool. My Sister-in-law and her best friend Annika both made it themselves. It was a cupcake tower, that had all kinds of jungle animals (the theme of the party) on it. I can't even begin to describe how cute it looked, but I took TONS of pictures of it.

After some more mingle time and the kids were distracted it was gift time! Luckily it cooled down enough so when I reached the middle of the quad area it wasn't so hot. Adrian set up a little space for me and was my present giver! Mia even got a special present for being a big sister!!! It had a teddy bear, bracletes, a princess wand, and Dora toys in it. She LOVED it and it helped keep her distracted during present time. I swear that present table of presents was HUGE and it almost took an hour to get through all of them. I can't believe how much CLOTHES and blankets we received, we are literally set for the YEAR! I am so happy! One present in particular was given by Adrian's Cousin Robert and his Fiance Cherilyn, it was a HUGE present bag of clothes and other baby items that after 5 mins and only getting 1/4 into the bag we gave up and decided to finish opening it at home! haha That present alone gave us enough clothes for the YEAR! (literally since the sizes ranged from newborn to 2T!)

After present time, the party started to end. Adrian stayed behind to help clean up and put things away while Tia Ana took me back to her house to rest. I took Mia with me and she got to hang out with her cousin Adan. She even got a bath!!! (Which she needed BAD! after sweating so much.. I have NEVER seen her hair poof out as bad as it was!, plus playing in the dirt and getting cupcake all over didn't help) Her Tia Ana gave her a bath and she did really good, she didn't cry or fuss when her hair was washed either! I was impressed. After she was all clean and refreshed she went right back to playing toys with Adan and riding around in his little car (until she tipped over and crashed... then she wanted nothing to do with it again! haha) She ate some dinner and was pretty much a good girl till Dada came to pick us up. I rested on the couch the entire time.

Once Daddy got there he rested as well and thats when Alex decided to protest. He started giving me pains and braxton hicks like CRAZY! I have never experienced anything like that! Soon the braxton hicks were literally coming every 5 mins! I was getting nervous and scared that it might kick off labor or be a sign to something. I drank more water and they seemed to slow down but I was already nervous. So we decided to head some so I could really rest and go to bed. So we said our goodbyes and headed out.

The contractions got a bit better but were still very close. We stopped by Wendy's on the way home to pick up some dinner (I was starving again) and we got home. Once I ate the contractions really died down and really spaced themselves out. Adrian put the Mia monster to bed and rested on the couch. I couldn't help myself, I got another surge of energy and ended up going through every since present again, organizing it and gushing over all the cute boy things we got!

It wasn't until it was after mid-night did I realize I needed to go to bed so I could rest, so once all the presents were put in a way Mia can't get into them I headed off to bed and knocked out in a flash!

Wow what a day! What a party!!! I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends and family on both sides of the family. These two parties really helped us get a jump start on all of Alex's things. Having a boy (and him being the first boy on my family's side) is awesome, but was a bit scary since we had NOTHING boy-ish for him.... especially clothes! Now we are set and my anxiety level has gone down so much! All that needs to be done is to wash everything, organize it in his little drawers and wait for his big arrival!!! Wow only 2 more weeks! EEEK!

No comments:

Post a Comment